Children’s Garden Spring 2014 Seasonal Instructors
Department: Children's Education
Reports to: Children’s Garden Coordinator
Term: Training: 5 Saturdays, 9 a.m.–4 p.m. | February 22; March 1, 8, 15, 22
Program: Fridays, 2–6 p.m., and/or Saturdays, 9 a.m.–3:30 p.m. | March 28–May 31
The world-renowned Children's Garden at Brooklyn Botanic Garden has been a leader in providing children and teens with hands-on gardening experience for 100 years. Children’s Garden Spring instructors develop and teach age appropriate gardening lessons to a group of up to 12 children with the assistance of two to three teen apprentices. Instructors must participate in five Saturday training sessions prior to teaching in the Children’s Garden program.
- Lead an age-based group of 12 children in hands-on gardening instruction (4- to 6-year-olds; 7- to 9-year-olds; or 10- to 13-year-olds).
- Develop and lead supplementary enrichment activities such as seasonal cooking activities or nature crafts.
- Mentor two to three teen apprentices.
- Ensure that each assigned garden plot is planted out according to plans each week.
- College-level studies or career experience in education, urban agriculture, nutrition, botany, or environmental or biological sciences
- Experience teaching children
- Experience and comfort working with youth and staff from diverse backgrounds
Application Deadline: January 17, 2014
Application Requirements: In addition to résumé and cover letter with details pertinent to the position, please provide two references with contact information. To apply for multiple BBG seasonal instructor positions, send a single application, making note of all the positions in which you are interested in your cover letter as well as in the email’s subject line.