Junior Botanist and Plant Investigator Seasonal Instructors
Reports to: Project Green Reach Coordinator
Term: Training: Tuesday–Friday, June 9–26 | 9:30 a.m.–4 p.m.
Program: Monday–Friday, June 29–August 8 | 8 a.m.–3:30 p.m. (with two required Saturdays and a three-day midweek overnight camping trip)
Instructors work with Junior Botanists (new participants exiting 4th, 5th, and 6th grades) and Plant Investigators (returning participants exiting 5th, 6th and 7th grades)—scholarship students selected from Title I schools in Brooklyn that have partnered with Brooklyn Botanic Garden (BBG) during the school year through our Project Green Reach outreach program. This position entails three weeks of intensive training, followed by six weeks of fast-paced programming.
- Collaborate and work within an inquiry-based team-teaching model.
- Codevelop and lead activities that are multidisciplinary and exploratory, with a focus on hands-on vegetable gardening and botanical/environmental science.
- Maintain garden plots.
- Work as part of staff team to colead a three-day midweek camping trip.
- College-level studies or career experience in environmental or botanical science, nutrition, horticulture, and/or vegetable gardening
- Demonstrated background in education or teaching
- Experience and comfort working with students and staff from diverse backgrounds
Compensation: $12.50 per hour
Application Deadline: March 4, 2015
Application Requirements: Please send a résumé and cover letter indicating the title of the position, along with the names of two references with contact information. To apply for multiple BBG seasonal instructor positions, send a single application, making note of all the positions in which you are interested in your cover letter as well as in the email’s subject line if submitting application via email.