Junior Botanist and Plant Investigator Seasonal Instructors
Department: Children's Education
Reports to: Project Green Reach Coordinator
Term: Training: Tuesday–Friday, 9:30 a.m.–4 p.m. | June 10–27; Program: Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–3:30 p.m. | July 1–August 9 (with two required Saturdays and a three-day midweek overnight camping trip)
Junior Botanists (new participants exiting 4th, 5th, and 6th grades) and Plant Investigators (returning participants exiting 5th, 6th and 7th grades) are scholarship students selected from Title I schools in Brooklyn that have partnered with BBG during the school year through our Project Green Reach outreach program. This position entails three weeks of intensive training, followed by six weeks of fast-paced programming.
- Collaborate and work within an inquiry-based team-teaching model.
- Co-develop and lead activities that are multidisciplinary and exploratory, with a focus on hands-on vegetable gardening and botanical/environmental science.
- Maintain garden plots.
- Work as part of staff team to co-leading a three-day overnight camping trip.
- Minimum some college-level studies or career experience in environmental/botanical science, nutrition, horticulture, and/or vegetable gardening
- Demonstrated background in education/teaching
- Experience and comfort working with students and staff from diverse backgrounds
Application Deadline: March 5, 2014
Application Requirements: In addition to résumé and cover letter with details pertinent to the position, please provide two references with contact information. To apply for multiple BBG seasonal instructor positions, send a single application, making note of all the positions in which you are interested in your cover letter as well as in the email’s subject line.