Summer Science Adventures Seasonal Instructor
Reports to: School Programs Coordinator
Term: Training: Tuesday–Friday, June 9–26 | 9:30 a.m.–4 p.m.
Program: Tuesday–Friday, June 30–August 14 | 9 a.m.–4:30 p.m. |
Brooklyn Botanic Garden’s (BBG’s) Children’s Education programs are world renowned for teaching plant science to urban children. Thousands of children ages 3 to 17 years old explore the wonders of the indoor, outdoor, and preserved plant collections at BBG each year. The seasonal Summer Science Adventures instructor teaches a science-based program that uses the resources of the plant collections at BBG as a basis for learning and exploration. All summer instructors must participate in an intensive orientation and lesson plan development program prior to teaching the Summer Science Adventures program.
- Teach a group of 16 to 20 children ages 9 and 10.
- Mentor and collaborate with a program assistant with a focus on building career and college skills.
- Develop lesson plans that include hands-on science investigations as well as nature activities in BBG’s education greenhouses and Garden collections.
- College-level studies in education, botany, or environmental or biological sciences
- Experience teaching children
- Experience and comfort working with youth and staff from diverse backgrounds
Compensation: $12.50 per hour
Application Deadline: March 4, 2015
Application Requirements: Please send a résumé and cover letter indicating the title of the position, along with the names of two references with contact information. To apply for multiple BBG seasonal instructor positions, send a single application, making note of all the positions in which you are interested in your cover letter as well as in the email’s subject line if submitting application via email.