Department: Children's Education
Reports to: Children’s Garden Coordinator
Term: June–August 2016
Work Schedule: Training: 3 weekdays between June 13 and June 28; exact dates will be coordinated in early May.
Program: June 29–August 17 (no class July 2); Wednesdays, 8 a.m.–3 p.m., and Saturdays 9:30 a.m.–1 p.m.
Brooklyn Botanic Garden (BBG) is seeking part-time seasonal instructors for the summer Trees & Saplings program in the Children’s Garden, world renowned for teaching hands-on gardening to urban children. The Trees & Saplings program provides very young children with an up-close introduction to gardening and nature. Two- and three-year-olds enroll alongside their caregiver to learn how to grow plants and explore nature through hands-on activities, songs, and stories. Instructors must participate in a training period prior to teaching in the Children’s Garden program.
- Work in a team to design, prepare, and teach seasonal, hands-on gardening lessons to a group of 10 young children and their adult partners.
- Mentor and collaborate and co-teach with a college-aged program assistant.
- Develop and lead supplementary enrichment activities such as seasonal cooking or nature crafts.
- Ensure that each assigned garden plot is planted out according to plan each week.
- College-level studies or career experience in education, urban agriculture, nutrition, botany, or environmental or biological sciences
- At least one year of experience teaching children 2 to 3 years old
- Gardening experience preferred
- Experience and comfort working with youth and staff from diverse backgrounds
How to Apply: Please send a résumé and cover letter indicating the title of the position and dates of availability, along with the names of two references with contact information.
How to Apply:
We will only accept résumés for those positions currently available. This notice is updated periodically; consequently, some of the positions listed may already be filled. If you are interested in any of these opportunities, please send a résumé and cover letter indicating the title of the position desired to:
Director of Human Resources
Brooklyn Botanic Garden
1000 Washington Ave.
Brooklyn, NY 11225-1099
Brooklyn Botanic Garden is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.