Reports to: Director of Gardens and Grounds
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Primary Objective: Under supervision, assists in and performs gardening work; performs related work.
- Assist in and perform tasks such as planting, cultivating and caring for trees, flowers, plants, shrubs, and other flora.
- Assist in and perform tasks such as digging up, balling, burlapping, and transplanting trees and shrubs; dig up and transplant sod; pot flowers and plants; propagate plant life.
- Assist in and perform tasks involving maintenance and operations of greenhouses and nurseries.
- Assist in preparation of soil and seed beds; receive training to grade sod, weed, mulch, and mow lawns; assist in repairing damaged planted areas, fertilizing and watering soil; receive training in pruning and spraying trees, shrubs, and plants.
- Assist in and perform tasks involved in operation and care of hand and power gardening tools and equipment. Make necessary operating adjustments to same; report needs for repairs and replacements to supervisor.
- Perform simple recordkeeping and prepare simple written reports.
- Drive vehicles and operate any other motorized equipment incidental to the performance of duties.
- As directed, performs various tasks in connection with cleaning of grounds and painting of fixtures and equipment.
May supervise subordinate seasonal employees, as well as volunteers.
Thirty credits, at least 15 of which must be in horticulture, agriculture, or a related field, from an accredited college or community college; or a certificate from a recognized horticultural or botanical program.
- One year of full-time experience in gardening work, including experience in each of the following: planting, cultivating and caring for trees, plants, shrubs, and lawns; or
- Education and/or experience equivalent to above
- Possession of a motor vehicle driver’s license valid in the state of New York.
- Ability to obtain and maintain pesticide apprentice certification
Work Environment Issues:
- Ability to work outside in all types of weather
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
How to Apply:
Please send a résumé and cover letter indicating the title of the position desired and days of availability to:
Brooklyn Botanic Garden
1000 Washington Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11225
Email: [email protected]
Brooklyn Botanic Garden is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.