Reports to: Children’s Garden Coordinator
Term: Late August–October 2016
Application Deadline: August 15, 2016
Brooklyn Botanic Garden (BBG) is seeking part-time seasonal instructors for fall programs in the Children’s Garden. The world-renowned Children’s Garden at BBG has been a leader in providing children and teens with hands-on gardening experience for more than 100 years. Each Children’s Garden fall instructor develops and teaches age-appropriate gardening lessons to a group of up to 12 children with the assistance of 2 to 3 teen apprentices. Instructors must participate in all training sessions prior to teaching in the Children’s Garden program.
Training: Saturday, August 27 | 10 a.m.–4 p.m.
Program: September 9–October 29 (no classes over Columbus Day weekend)
Fridays | 2–6 p.m.
Saturdays | 9 a.m.–3:30 p.m.
- Lead an age-based group of children in hands-on gardening instruction (4–6-year-olds; 7–9-year-olds; or 10–13-year-olds).
- Develop and lead seasonal, inquiry-based lesson plans such as cooking activities and nature crafts.
- Mentor 2 to 3 teen apprentices.
- Ensure that each assigned garden plot is planted out and maintained accordingly to weekly tasks.
- College-level studies or career experience in education, urban agriculture, nutrition, botany, or environmental or biological sciences
- Experience teaching children
- Experience and comfort working with youth and staff from diverse backgrounds
Compensation: $13.50 per hour
How to Apply Please send a résumé and cover letter indicating the title of the position and details pertinent to the position, the preferred age range you would like to teach in the Children’s Garden, and the names of two references with contact information. Make sure Fall Instructor is clearly stated in the email’s subject line.
How to Apply:
We will only accept résumés for those positions currently available. This notice is updated periodically; consequently, some of the positions listed may already be filled. If you are interested in any of these opportunities, please send a résumé and cover letter indicating the title of the position desired to:
Director of Human Resources
Brooklyn Botanic Garden
1000 Washington Ave.
Brooklyn, NY 11225-1099
Brooklyn Botanic Garden is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.