Children’s Garden Seasonal Instructors (Fall)
Reports to: Children's Garden Coordinator
Term: August 28–October 17, 2015
Application Deadline: August 15, 2015
Brooklyn Botanic Garden (BBG) is seeking part-time seasonal instructors for the fall Children’s Garden program. The world-renowned Children’s Garden at Brooklyn Botanic Garden has been a leader in providing children and teens with hands-on gardening experience for 100 years. Children’s Garden fall instructors develop and teach age-appropriate gardening lessons to a group of up to 12 children with the assistance of two teen apprentices. Instructors must participate in a training session prior to teaching in the Children’s Garden program.
Training: August 28 and 29 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Program: September 1–October 17, 2015 (no classes over Columbus Day weekend). Five Fridays from 2 to 6 p.m. and five Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. The work schedule of this position pairs well with the schedule of our School Programs seasonal instructor position, should you want to combine the two positions for more weekly hours.
- Lead a group of children (4- to 6-year-olds, 7- to 9-year-olds, or 10- to 14-year-olds) in hands-on gardening workshops.
- Develop and lead supplementary enrichment activities, such as seasonal cooking and nature crafts.
- Mentor two to three teen apprentices.
- Ensure that each assigned garden plot is planted out according to plans each week.
- College-level studies or career experience in education, urban agriculture, nutrition, botany, or environmental or biological sciences
- Experience teaching children required (experience with early-childhood education preferred)
- Ability to obtain security clearance from NYC Department of Education for working with children
- Experience and comfort working with youth and staff from diverse backgrounds preferred
Compensation: $12.50 per hour
How to Apply Indicate the preferred age range you would like to teach in the Children’s Garden (see age range above). Make sure "fall instructor" is clearly stated in your cover letter as well as in the email’s subject line. To apply for multiple BBG seasonal instructor positions, send a single application, making note of all the positions in which you are interested in your cover letter as well as in the email's subject line. Please send a résumé, cover letter, and names of two references with contact information.