Director of Human Resources
Department: Business Office
Reports to: CFO/VP of Finance
Brooklyn Botanic Garden is seeking a director of Human Resources to design, implement, oversee, and direct all human resources functions for a staff of approximately 250 people.
- Design, implement, direct, and evaluate all human resources programs, policies, and activities.
- Promote effective and efficient management through human resources programs and consultations with department managers.
- Coordinate in-house training program for employee and management development.
- Oversee employee performance management.
- Serve as primary liaison and internal consultant for labor negotiations, conflict resolution, and employee relations.
- Coordinate recruitment and retention efforts for all personnel.
- Facilitate new-employee orientations and exit interviewing.
- Oversee payroll processing; time and attendance records; and benefits administration.
- In coordination with CFO, research and negotiate employee benefits.
- Manage and review all unemployment claims.
- Ensure and oversee compliance reporting.
- Conduct internal investigations and serve as liaison with legal counsel.
- Serve as EEO officer.
- Supervise payroll/human resources coordinator and seasonal switchboard staff.
- Coordinate phone coverage for switchboard and president’s office.
- Coordinate all staff events.
- Perform other related duties or special projects as directed.
- Extensive human resources generalist experience at the senior management level, preferably in a union environment
- Ability to coach and counsel management and employees
- Experience with union and benefits negotiations
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local employment regulations
- Excellent oral and writing skills
- Proven leadership ability
- Demonstrated judgment and problem solving ability
- Skill as team player
- Excellent management, organization, and communications skills
- Experience with Excel, Outlook, and Microsoft Word
- High degree of self-motivation and ability to multitask
- Ability and willingness to work in fast-pace environment
- Previous work experience in a cultural institution a plus
- Presentation and facilitation skills a plus
- Nonprofit experience preferred
- PHR/SPHR certification preferred