Reports to: President
The director of Human Resources has primary responsibility for the administration of human resources functions for Brooklyn Botanic Garden, including recruitment and selection, classification, certification, employee and management training, payroll, compensation, employee/labor relations, investigations, workers’ compensation, unemployment, benefits administration, occupational health and safety programs, budget development and implementation, human resources management, and other related programs.
- Plan, coordinate, direct, and evaluate the overall activities of Human Resources; initiate the development and implementation of programs involving all facets of personnel activities; promote effective and efficient management through personnel programs; consult with department managers on matters of interpretation of policy and procedures.
- Direct the maintenance of personnel records, personnel transactions, applications, examinations, eligibility certifications, appointments, promotions, transfers, resignations, terminations, and layoffs; direct in-house training program for employee and management development and employee work performance and evaluation.
- Ensure that department heads are provided with expert guidance and technical assistance in administering programs in areas of recruitment, selection, classification, compensation, training, information systems, and general human resources management; provide for labor negotiations and employee-management conflict resolution.
- Stay current on recent federal, state, local, and case law changes and monitors labor law updates and newsletters for changes that affect Human Resources.
- Develop, recommend, and implement personnel policies and procedures; prepare and maintain handbook on policies and procedures.
- Coordinate recruitment efforts for all exempt and nonexempt personnel and temporary employees, reviews résumés, and interview candidates.
- Perform and process background checks in HireRight, DOE PET, and DCJS systems.
- Create and manage job descriptions.
- Process new-employee orientations, employee relations counseling, and exit interviews.
- Review payroll processing and time and attendance records; process payroll in absence of Payroll/Human Resources coordinator.
- Review quarterly payroll reports and year-end processing.
- Review and process all workers’ compensation claims.
- Manage and review all unemployment claims.
- Review new hires’ paperwork and benefit enrollment.
- Process and submit retiree benefit premium changes.
- Coordinate/deliver training and development in employment practices.
- Ensure and oversee compliance reporting.
- Assist vice presidents, directors, and managers in carrying out their responsibilities on personnel matters.
- Coordinate union concerns and manage due process and grievance procedures.
- Consult with legal counsel as appropriate, and/or directed by the CFO on personnel matters.
- Serve as EEO officer.
- Coordinate management-training programs.
- Coordinate all staff events.
- Perform other related duties or special projects as directed.
- Supervise Payroll/Human Resources coordinator and seasonal switchboard staff.
- Coordinate phone coverage for switchboard and president’s office as needed.
- Five (5+) years’ managerial and supervisory experience in public or private human resources management; and/or bachelor’s degree in personnel management, public administration, psychology, or education
- Five (5) years’ experience in the human resources field; OR
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training that provides required knowledge, skills, and abilities
- PHR/SPHR certification preferred
- Proven leadership ability
- Demonstrated ability in exercising sound judgment
- Excellent management, organization, and communications skills
- Experience with Excel, Outlook, and Microsoft Word
- Self-motivated with the ability to multitask
How to Apply:
We will only accept résumés for those positions currently available. This notice is updated periodically; consequently, some of the positions listed may already be filled. If you are interested in any of these opportunities, please send a résumé and cover letter indicating the title of the position desired to:
Director of Human Resources
Brooklyn Botanic Garden
1000 Washington Ave.
Brooklyn, NY 11225-1099
Brooklyn Botanic Garden is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.