Garden Apprentice Program (GAP) Senior Instructor
Department: Children’s Education
Reports to: Garden Apprentice Program Coordinator
Brooklyn Botanic Garden (BBG) is seeking a Garden Apprentice Program (GAP) senior instructor to work with the GAP coordinator to plan and implement all aspects of the GAP program—a four-tiered internship program for youth entering grades 8 through 12. The spring and fall schedule is Sunday–Thursday; summer and winter schedule is Monday–Friday.
- Assist the GAP coordinator to recruit, select, train, and supervise youth in all tiers of GAP.
- Develop and lead lessons for youth on botany, environmental science, horticulture, job-readiness skills, and college preparation.
- Develop and lead spring and fall intern placements, such as science research, greenhouse maintenance or horticulture.
- Coordinate interns working at Discovery Carts or other placements in the fall and spring.
- Lead the summer program for interns, including teaching a science research series and hands-on horticulture sessions, and mentoring seasonal staff.
- Perform record keeping and administrative tasks such as web-based communications, compiling data for reports, and maintaining the intern database.
- Support planning and implementation of GAP events for interns and their families, and horticulture lessons for interns.
- Provide horticultural and educational support throughout the department as needed.
- Provide other essential tasks as needed.
- BA or BS in adolescent education, botany, agriculture, environmental or biological sciences, or comparable education and experience
- Minimum two years’ relevant work experience
- Significant experience working with youth in grades 8–12
- Ability to communicate effectively with different audiences, both orally and in writing
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and leadership skills
- Innovative, creative, and a self-starter
- Willingness to work outdoors
- Willingness to work extended weeknight and weekend hours as needed
- Valid driver’s license preferred; willingness to drive BBG vehicles
- Ability to obtain security clearance for working with children