Reports to: Director of Communications
Brooklyn Botanic Garden seeks an enthusiastic, organized, and dedicated candidate for an internship in Communications. The intern will learn about and engage in all aspects of communications and public relations work for a large nonprofit organization and respected cultural institution. Working closely with the director of Communications, the intern will help implement the Garden’s communications plan by taking part in its public relations strategy—producing media materials and institutional messaging, developing press lists, assisting with photo ops and commercial shoots, generating results reports analysis, and other tasks. Assisting with special events and commercial film or photo shoots may require occasional after-hours commitment.
This internship runs from February through summer of 2015 and requires a minimum commitment of 20 hours a week. The internship offers university credit and an hourly wage.
- Completion or current pursuit of bachelor's degree
- Excellent verbal and writing skills, including professional telephone and email manner
- Energetic self-starter with positive attitude
- Knowledge of New York City’s cultural landscape and media world a plus
- Some flexibility in working schedule required (occasional evenings and weekends necessary)
- Computer literacy (particularly Microsoft Office suite of programs). Basic photo-editing experience preferred.
Please submit a résumé and cover letter indicating reasons for interest in the position, and any past or current experience that indicates a good fit.