Junior Graphic Designer
Reports to: Director of Marketing
Brooklyn Botanic Garden is seeking an enthusiastic and creative individual with a strong passion for design to join its marketing team. The ideal candidate should be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment in the scope of a small but extremely active not-for-profit institution and have an appreciation for his/her surroundings at one of New York City’s most treasured natural spaces. The junior graphic designer will gain experience working on a wide range of projects for the Garden, from brochures, invitations, and advertisements to web graphics and onsite interpretation. Excellent communication skills are a must, as this position involves a high level of interaction with staff at all levels across several departments. S/he should also possess an interest in sustainability and green printing standards in support of the Garden’s mission.
- Meet with project managers to discuss objectives and interpret these needs to design a variety of materials including brochures, newsletters (print and email), catalogs, advertising, signage, invitations, web graphics, exhibits, direct mail, and retail products.
- Design templates for use by qualified individuals in other departments.
- Communicate brand guidelines to project managers and ensure brand consistency across all projects.
- Update Brand Standards Manual as needed.
- Manage internal relationships to keep projects on brand, schedule, and budget.
- Manage external relationships with vendors, including printers and mail houses.
- Bid, contract, and execute projects according to established budgets and production schedules.
- Track all projects through Gardenlink Print Job Request system.
- Work closely with copy editor to ensure that projects adhere to the Garden’s style guide.
- Maintain organization of printed and digital design files and invoices.
- Perform any other related duties or special projects as directed.
- BA or BFA in graphic design and one to two years’ experience
- Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign
- PowerPoint presentation design experience
- Basic HTML and web design experience a plus
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative environment, to multitask, and manage time effectively while working under tight deadlines
- Strong interpersonal and project management skills, with a keen eye for detail