Manager of Institutional Funding, Foundation and Government Grants
Reports to: Director of Institutional Funding
The manager of Institutional Funding is part of a 15-person department responsible for raising approximately $5 million in annual operating support from a variety of funding sources. This position reports to the director of Institutional Funding, and, together with a manager focused on corporate partnerships, works to raise approximately $2 million grants from foundations, corporations, and select government agencies through grants and sponsorships.
Supporting the director, manager of Institutional Funding plays an active role in developing and writing proposals and stewardship materials for foundation, corporate, and government grantmakers. The manager coordinates key dates relating to these relationships, including acknowledgment, pledge payments, stewardship reports, renewal requests, and proposal submission deadlines. In addition, the manager supports efforts to identify new sources of funding and fresh ways to position the Garden’s programs. The manager also assists as needed in projects related to corporate partnerships and BBG’s Capital Campaign and helps create innovative ways to document and present the impact of the Garden’s programs.
- Write compelling grant proposals and timely reports, including both initial grant applications and competitive renewal applications. This includes scheduling meetings with program and finance staff; establishing and meeting internal review deadlines; writing new narrative, editing and proofreading copy; maintaining up-to-date program statistics; gathering attachments and signatures; and submitting complete proposal packages.
- Help identify ways to sustain and grow the base of contributions.
- Work closely with the director, program staff, and finance staff to assess and develop new program initiatives and help monitor and track programmatic impact in ways compelling and meaningful to funders of BBG.
- Cultivate relationships with existing and prospective donors through discussion, correspondence, meetings, and tours of Brooklyn Botanic Garden.
- Secure meetings and coordinate site visits with donors and prospects to update them on BBG’s activities.
- Oversee gift processing, maintain accurate records and filing systems, update database and tracking documents, and write acknowledgment letters.
- Coordinate other aspects of donor stewardship, including logistics for donor site visits, and assist with donor cultivation events.
- Manage research and prospecting via print and online sources.
- Provide materials and support, as necessary, for institutional collaborations, special projects, and the Capital Campaign.
- Be available to work evenings and occasional weekends to help meet pressing deadlines and support events during the Garden’s peak seasons (September–October, March–June).
- Participate in donor cultivation and special events.
- Maintain strong communications with departmental and institutional staff regarding projects, goals, deadlines, opportunities, and outcomes.
- Perform other duties as directed.
- BA with minimum of three to four years’ development experience, including grant writing
- Superior organizational skills, strong attention to detail, ability to meet internal and external deadlines
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with budget preparation and analysis, including knowledge of outcome measurement, logic models, and evaluation
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office and Raisers Edge or similar system
- Capacity to work independently and as part of a team to fulfill the goals of the Institutional Funding department and interact with staff at all levels
- Background or strong interest in cultural institutions, environment, education and science desired
In addition to résumé and cover letter with details pertinent to the position, please provide a writing sample (no more than five pages).