School Programs Seasonal Instructor
Reports to: School Programs Manager
Brooklyn Botanic Garden (BBG) is seeking part-time seasonal instructors for school programs at the Garden. The Exploration Tour and Project Green Reach programs for grades pre-K through 8 provide guided tours and hands-on activities of 1 to 1½ hours at the Garden. Topics focus on botany and plant ecology and make use of BBG’s indoor and outdoor plant collections to support the science curriculum of local public and nonpublic schools.
Duration: September 2014–June 2015
- Assist the School Programs and Project Green Reach coordinators with preparation of materials and coordination with Garden Guide volunteers.
- Actively participate in direct teaching of the students, leading one group of students per class program on a Garden tour.
- Support education volunteers, responding to questions and coordinating tour logistics among the team members.
- Help set up lesson materials and assist with cleanup after each lesson.
Flexible schedule, depending on instructor availability and program registrations: 3 to 5 hours per day, starting at 9 a.m.; 2 to 4 days per week, Tuesday through Friday.
- Minimum: college-level studies in natural science, environmental studies, education, or a related field
- Experience working directly with children
- Experience with special-needs populations or teaching in an outdoor setting a plus
- Ability to obtain security clearance from the NYC Department of Education for working with children