School Programs Seasonal Instructor
Department: Education and Interpretation
Reports to: School Programs Coordinator
Brooklyn Botanic Garden (BBG) is seeking per diem seasonal instructors for its school programs. The Exploration Workshop, Project Green Reach, and Urban Advantage programs for grades pre-K through 8 provide 1- to 1½-hour guided tours and hands-on activities at the Garden. Topics focus on botany and plant ecology, making use of BBG’s indoor and outdoor plant collections to support the science curriculum of local public and non-public schools.
Term: September 2015–June 2016
Work Schedule: Flexible schedule, depending on instructor availability and program registrations; 2 to 4 days per week, Tuesday through Friday; 3 to 5 hours per day, starting at 9 a.m.
- Working with a team of educators, lead one group of students per class on a Garden tour related to the program topic and actively participate in direct teaching.
- Assist the coordinators of School Workshops, Project Green Reach, and Urban Advantage with preparation of materials and coordination of Garden Guide volunteers.
- Support education volunteers, responding to questions and coordinating tour logistics among the team members.
- Help set up lesson materials and assist with cleanup after each lesson.
- Minimum of college-level studies in natural science, environmental studies, education, or a related field
- Experience working directly with children; experience working with special needs people or teaching in an outdoor setting preferred
- Ability to obtain security clearance from the NYC Department of Education for working with students
Application: Please send résumé, cover letter, including availability, and the names of two references with contact information.