Seasonal Continuing Education Instructors
Department: Continuing Education
Reports to: Manager of Continuing Education
Continuing Education at Brooklyn Botanic Garden is seeking experienced instructors in the following subject areas for the winter term (January – April 2016).
Soil Management (6 weekday evenings, 6–9 p.m.)
Instructor should be knowledgeable in soil structure, chemistry, and amendments.
Pest Management (6 weekday evenings, 6–9 p.m.)
Instructor should have an understanding of and experience with integrated pest management (IPM) and plant health care (PCH) approaches.
- Coordinate with manager and coordinator of Continuing Education regarding class requirements and schedules.
- Create and execute a six-class syllabus covering fundamentals of subject, including student requirements and assignments.
- Provide supplementary resource materials as needed.
- Prepare and grade homework assignments and/or exams in a timely manner.
- Evaluate each student’s performance and attendance to ascertain final grade.
- Keep attendance and perform other classroom duties as needed.
- Two years’ experience in horticulture, gardening, or science education required
- MA in horticulture, botany, education, or related field preferred
- Experience teaching adults preferred
- Familiarity with Brooklyn Botanic Garden a plus