Brooklyn Botanic Garden is dedicated to inspiring the public by displaying and studying plant life. Through related classes, events, and publications, we aim to arouse public awareness of the fragility of our natural environment, both local and global, and to provide visitors a variety of ways to enjoy plants in their own lives.
By displaying art that explores the connections between humans and plants, BBG's Steinhardt Conservatory Gallery advances our mission through a different lens. The Steinhardt Gallery is a multiuse space on the lower level of the Steinhardt Conservatory and is equipped to display two-dimensional works and small installations. The gallery is open Tuesday through Sunday, 10 a.m.–4 p.m. It is not climate controlled.
Art Proposal Submissions
The exhibition team welcomes artists, both solo and group, to submit proposals for use of the space related to BBG's areas of interest. The gallery typically hosts four to five shows per year. Proposals are reviewed by a committee in the spring and fall each year, after which time the artists selected are notified.
When submitting a proposal for an exhibition, please include the following:
- Description of the proposed exhibition, including a statement explaining why BBG is an appropriate venue (no more than one page)
- Curriculum vitae
- 8 to 10 visuals indicating title, date, materials used, and dimensions of the work (if sending jpgs of the work, please use a resolution of 300 dpi or higher)
Proposals may be submitted at any time via mail:Exhibitions and Interpretation
Brooklyn Botanic Garden
1000 Washington Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11225
Proposals may also be emailed: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Proposal materials will not be returned.
Gallery Guidelines and Information
- Though all media will be considered for exhibition, we have limited capacity for three-dimensional work.
- Artwork may only be hung using the gallery's hanging system, which includes picture hooks and wire. Installations may not be attached to the walls or cause damage to the gallery in any way.
- Four cases are available for use: three cases at 28"w × 58"l × 28"h (inside measurements); one case at 34"w × 64"l × 34"h (inside measurements).
- Exhibitors are responsible for preparing artwork for safe exhibition in a gallery space.
- Exhibitors are responsible for producing and installing exhibitions and related costs.
- BBG will provide marketing and communications support for exhibitions, as well as a general gallery coordinator.
See examples of past exhibitions in the Steinhardt Conservatory Gallery.