School Group Procedures
A botanic garden is not a park but a living museum of plants for study and aesthetic enjoyment. Whether participating in a guided program or bringing a class for a self-guided visit, teachers are responsible for their students and must observe all Garden regulations. For BBG's guidelines for childrens' groups, contact the Registration Office at 718-623-7220.
Every group must have a ratio of one adult per ten children. For grades pre-K to 1, a ratio of one adult per seven to eight children is recommended. Supervisory adults are responsible for their students' behavior and the observation of all Garden regulations.
Show your admission pass/registration confirmation for entry into the Garden. School groups coming by bus for a self-guided visit should be dropped off and picked up at the Flatbush Avenue gate at the corner of Empire Boulevard.
All school groups registered for a guided program will be met by their instructor or a Garden Guide at the Administrative Entrance to the Garden, at 1000 Washington Avenue. Show your admission pass/registration confirmation for entry into the Garden. Preregistered classes coming by bus for a guided program should be dropped off and picked up at this entrance. Allow at least 15 minutes to reach the Administrative Entrance from the other entry gates. Please be sure to leave enough travel time to reach the Garden by your scheduled time. Classes arriving late will receive a shortened instruction session or tour so that groups end at the scheduled time. Refunds are not available.
Groups Arriving on Foot or by Subway
Additional entrances to BBG are located at Eastern Parkway (Subway: #2, #3 to Eastern Parkway station), Flatbush Avenue and Empire Boulevard. (Subway: Q, B, and Franklin Avenue Shuttle to Prospect Park station), and the parking lot gate at 900 Washington Avenue.
Traveling with Lunches
In general, we encourage school groups to have lunch before entering or after leaving the Garden. Picnic areas located near the Garden include Prospect Park (across Flatbush Avenue) and Mount Prospect Park (at Eastern Parkway).
The Garden has limited seating available in a designated uncovered outdoor school lunch area located near the Flatbush Avenue entrance gate. Unfortunately, this area is not easily wheelchair accessible without assistance. Only preregistered groups with an admission pass are allowed access to this area. The school lunch area is open seasonally (September–October, April–June) during the public school year, Tuesday–Friday 10:30 a.m.–1:00 p.m. School groups must be accompanied by the appropriate ratio of adult chaperones.
Most facilities at the Garden are wheelchair accessible, including the Education greenhouse, the Steinhardt Conservatory, and several restrooms. Please let us know if individuals will be arriving by wheelchair or if they are physically challenged, so that we can help you plan your route accordingly.
BBG's educational programs can be adapted for students with special needs. The Education greenhouses have hydraulic, height-adjustable potting tables that enable all students to work comfortably. When scheduling a visit to BBG, please notify the Registration Office about the learning or physical needs of your students. We offer discounted fees for special-needs programs; please ask about this when you register.
Students and teachers should wear clothing and footwear appropriate for an active, outdoor walk and suitable for shifts in weather.
Restrooms are located in the Administration Building, Visitor Center, and the Steinhardt Conservatory. Please allow time before and after your visit for restroom use.
Brooklyn Botanic Garden is closed to the public on Mondays, except holidays.
March Through October
Tuesday–Friday, 8 a.m.–6 p.m. Weekends and holidays, 10 a.m.–6 p.m.
November Through February
Tuesday–Friday, 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.Weekends and holidays, 10 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Conservatory, Gift Shop and Visitor Center Hours
March Through October
Tuesday–Sunday and holidays, 10 a.m.–5:30 p.m. (Visitor Center closes at 5 p.m.)
November Through February
Tuesday–Sunday and holidays, 10 a.m.–4 p.m.
The Garden Gift Shop
Brooklyn Botanic Garden's shop is located at 990 Washington Avenue, adjacent to the Visitor Center. The shop offers plants, garden supplies, gifts for children, stationery, and personal accessories.
Registration is required at least two weeks before the date of your visit. Register online and print your confirmation/admission pass immediately. Make sure to bring your admission pass with you to the Garden.
School Workshops and Exploration Tours
Prescheduled structured programs are offered Tuesdays through Fridays with advance registration and payment required. The following registration procedure applies for School Workshops and Exploration Tours:
- All registrations for structured programs are handled by telephone. To register, please call the Registration Office at 718-623-7220 between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. We will need the teacher's name and phone number for each class attending. Registrations will be taken only during those times. Call early and have several alternate dates in mind.
- A separate appointment is required for each school class, which can have a maximum of 35 students (25 for Pre-K through Grade 2). Special Education classes are limited to 15 students. We cannot accommodate groups of students combined from different classes.
- Payment procedure: Advance payment is required for all structured programs. Fees must be received within three weeks after the reservation has been made, or the appointment will be canceled.
- Cancellation policy: If you need to cancel a program, your fee will be refunded, minus a $10 processing charge, provided you notify us at least three weeks before the date of your visit. Reimbursement will not be issued for "no-shows" or last-minute cancellations.
- All programs are held rain or shine. In the event of inclement weather, tours may be conducted in the Steinhardt Conservatory. There will be no refund, credit, or rescheduling due to inclement weather.