BBG’s Annual Plant Sale Offers Over 20,000 Plants on April 30 and May 1
Release Date: March 17, 2014BBG Plant Sale:
Wednesday, April 30 | 9 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Thursday, May 1 | 9 a.m. – Noon
Members-Only Preview Sale: Tuesday, April 29 | 4:30 - 8 p.m.
Children’s Plant Sale: Wednesday, April 30, Thursday, May 1 | 10 a.m.–1:30 p.m. Magnolia Plaza
Press Preview: Monday, April 28 | 2 - 4 p.m.
Brooklyn, NY—Brooklyn Botanic Garden’s annual benefit Plant Sale returns this spring with the largest selection of top-quality, affordable plants in the metropolitan area. The Plant Sale has been a much-anticipated spring tradition in NYC for over 60 years, offering an unmatched selection of locally-grown, hand-selected plants for gardens big and small, indoors and out.
More than 20,000 plants—ranging from the tried-and-true to the new and different—will be for sale under a tent on the expansive lawn of BBG’s Cherry Esplanade. Over two days, thousands of plant lovers will take advantage of the sale’s incredible selection and gardening advice from the Garden’s expert staff, including director of Horticulture Mark Fisher (houseplants), rosarian Sarah Owens, and team members from GreenBridge, BBG’s community environmental horticulture program (window boxes, tree beds, and containers).
The two-day Plant Sale offers an extensive variety of plants, both for indoors and outdoors: annuals, herbaceous perennials, small trees and shrubs, roses, herbs, vegetables, houseplants, orchids, hanging baskets—and more. Easy space-saving plants for apartment dwellers, like cherry tomatoes in hanging baskets, heavy-fruiting blueberries for containers, and a wide range of water-conserving succulents are offered alongside 19 varieties of clematis and dozens of roses and other garden favorites.
Among the specimens on offer are rare and unusual plants, including native species and hard-to-find cultivars, all meticulously selected and reasonably priced by a team that has worked on the sale for over 40 years to grow it into the city’s premier resource for garden plants.
NOTE TO MEDIA:
On Monday, April 28, accredited media can attend a preview of the Plant Sale from 2 to 4 p.m. Pre-registration is required; to RSVP, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
On Wednesday, April 30, the following talks and demonstrations are offered for gardeners of all experience levels:
- Bonsai Clinic and Demonstration, led by BBG bonsai curator Julian Velasco. Bring your own pest-free bonsai for pruning, repotting, and advice. $25 for participants; spectators are welcome, free of charge (10 a.m. - noon and 2 - 3 p.m.).
- Roses and Their Companions, with Sarah Owens, curator of BBG’s Cranford Rose Garden (11 a.m. and 4 p.m.)
- The Best Houseplants for Sun and Shade, with director of Horticulture Mark Fisher (2 p.m.)
- Reviving and Repotting Orchids, with David Horak, curator of BBG’s orchid collection (11 a.m. and 3 p.m.)
- Tips on Selecting Unusual Long-Blooming, Easy-Care Annuals, with BBG curator Jennifer Williams (11 a.m.)
- Shrubs and Perennials Offering the Best Bang for Your Buck, with BBG curator Michael Mauro (11:30 a.m. and 6 p.m.)
- An Exploration of Unusual Herbs, with BBG curator Jennifer Williams (3 p.m.)
- GreenBridge Workshops: Get a head-start on improving your neighborhood with Planting a Window Box (5:30 p.m.), Colorful Containers (6 p.m.), and Tree Bed Gardening (6:30 p.m.).
Visitors are encouraged to share stories and photos of the Plant Sale on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram using the hashtag #brooklynbotanic.
A special Members’ Preview will take place Tuesday, April 29, from 4:30 p.m. to 8:00p.m. on Cherry Esplanade; admission is with a BBG membership card only; memberships may be purchased at Garden entrances. The annual Children’s Plant Sale will take place Wednesday, April 30, and Thursday, May 1, from 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Magnolia Plaza (pre-registration required; please visit classes.bbg.org).
BBG’s 2014 Plant Sale is presented by the BBG Auxiliary. Sponsorship support for the Plant Sale is provided by Monrovia Growers. All proceeds benefit Brooklyn Botanic Garden.
NOTE: On Tuesday, April 30, the Garden will close to the public at 4 p.m. for the Members’ Preview Sale. On April 30 and May 1, the Garden will open at 9 a.m. instead of 8 a.m.