SPROUTFEST Celebrating 100 Years of Kids at Brooklyn Botanic Garden
Release Date: May 19, 2014Brooklyn, NY—On Saturday, June 7, 2014, celebrate 100 years of kids at Brooklyn Botanic Garden with Sproutfest, a joyful rumpus on Cherry Esplanade. Flop on the grass and enjoy an afternoon of music, colorful storytelling, workshops, and games for visitors of all ages. Plus, BBG’s Children’s Garden opens its gates for special tours of its historic grounds.
Tractor Stage Performances on Cherry Esplanade:
Stories and Face Paint: Tiddalik the Great
Join Christopher Agostino as he brings this Aboriginal tale to life on the faces of the audience.
The Ebony Hillbillies
Kick back and delight in the toe-tapping tunes of one of America’s last black string bands.
Stories and Face Paint: The Two Lizards That Fell from the Sky
Join Christopher Agostino as he brings this tale of transformation to life on the faces of the audience.
Shine and the Moonbeams
Groove to radiant retro R&B and soul for families.
Workshops & Games on Cherry Esplanade:
• Brussels Sprout Bowling
• Peacock Feather Balancing
• Vegetable Hopscotch
• Hula Hoop Spinning
• Pretend Petting Zoo for Toddlers
• Sift compost, learn about worms, and hunt for the worms, beetles, and other critters that turn organic waste into compost.
• Enjoy ten-foot dandelion sculptures made of steel, brass, and copper.
• View 100 Years and Growing at the Steinhardt Conservatory Gallery.
• Check out BBG's brand-new book The Kid's Guide to Exploring Nature and the family favorite Gardening With Children.
• Pot up a tomato plant for your windowsill
• Design your dream garden
Children’s Garden Insider Tours:
• Stroll down to the Children’s Garden for special tours led by kids.
Sproutfest activities take place rain or shine on Cherry Esplanade. Admission is free with Garden admission: $10 for adults and $5 for students and seniors over 65. Admission for children under 12 and BBG members is always free.