Saturday, February 16, 2013 | 7–10 p.m. (6–7 p.m. VIP reception)
LLL’s 2013’s winter soiree, the Black, White, and Evergreen Ball, is inspired by Truman Capote’s famous 1966 Black and White Ball at another New York institution, the Plaza Hotel. Guests are encouraged to arrive clad in black-and-white fashions evocative of the 1960s—or another era. VIP ticketholders will enter BBG’s new glass-walled Visitor Center for a flute of prosecco, courtesy of Regal Wine Imports, and a tour of the award-winning building before promenading through the Garden to the renowned Palm House—aglow with hundreds of white lights.
Guests will select a black-and-white mask as the ball gets under way, and then pick up a traditional 1960s cocktail—featuring the Botanist gin, handcrafted by Bruichladdich. Hors d’oeuvres and light bites reminiscent of the era will be served and a photo booth with brightly colored props set up for guests to enjoy, against the sonic backdrop of a swinging ’60s playlist from Handpicked Music.
At 8:30 p.m., a special guest will offer homage to the great Capote and his iconic literary landscape of New York City. Soon after, a black-and-white dessert bar featuring historic Brooklyn chocolatier JoMart Chocolate’s confections and dark chocolate ice cream sandwiches from Melt Bakery will continue the merriment to the last bite.
Ticket and Arrival Information
- Saturday, February 16 | 7–10 p.m. (6–7 p.m. VIP reception)
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden’s Palm House. Enter at 1000 Washington Avenue; take 2 or 3 train to Eastern Parkway/Brooklyn Museum; B or Q to Prospect Park. Call 718-623-7241 for more information. (VIP ticketholders enter through Visitor Center at 990 Washington Avenue.)
- Strictly 21+; tickets $30 general / $45 VIP (limited number available).
- Advance purchase required and includes a free subscription to Brooklyn Based; black- and-white attire encouraged.
- Ticket includes two drinks and light hors d’oeuvres; additional drinks will be available for purchase.