Date Posted: February 26, 2018
Department: Children’s Education
Reports to: Children’s Garden Coordinator
Term: Mid-June–Mid-August 2018
Compensation: $15 per hour
Application Deadline: March 21, 2018
Brooklyn Botanic Garden (BBG) is seeking part-time seasonal instructors for summer programs in its world-renowned Children’s Garden. Summer instructors develop and teach age-appropriate gardening lessons to a group of up to 12 children with the assistance of two to three teen apprentices in our Garden Apprentice Program. Instructors must participate in an intensive three-week training and lesson plan development period prior to teaching in the Children’s Garden program.
Training: Tuesday–Friday, 9:30 a.m.–4 p.m. | June 12–June 29
Program: Tuesday–Friday, 8 a.m.–3:30 p.m. | July 5–August 17
- Lead an age-based group of 12 children in hands-on gardening instruction in a half-acre edible garden (ages 4–6; 7–9; or 10–13).
- Develop seasonal, inquiry-based lesson plans, including horticultural tasks, science experiments, cooking activities, and/or nature crafts.
- Perform horticultural maintenance of several assigned garden plots when children are not in attendance.
- Mentor two to three teen apprentices, who assist instructors.
- College-level studies or career experience in education, urban agriculture, nutrition, botany, or environmental or biological sciences
- Experience teaching children
- Gardening experience preferred
- Experience and comfort working with youth and staff from diverse backgrounds
How to Apply:
Email your résumé and cover letter to [email protected]. Make sure the position title is clearly stated in your cover letter as well as in the email’s subject line. No telephone calls for position inquiries, please.
Brooklyn Botanic Garden is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.