Date Posted: February 28, 2018
Department: Public Programs
Reports to: Director of Public Programs and Assistant Director of Public Programs
Term: Selected Dates in 2018
The Public Programs department of Brooklyn Botanic Garden (BBG) is seeking festival event crew to work various outdoor public festivals throughout the year. Public Programs produces music and dance performances, spoken-word events, horticultural and craft workshops, and children’s programs—all in the beautiful setting of the Garden. Attendance of events ranges from 8,000 to 55,000 visitors a day.
Schedule of Major Festival Dates:
Sakura Matsuri—Thursday, April 26 (setup); Friday, April 27 (setup); Saturday, April 28 (festival date), and Sunday, April 29 (festival date)
Chile Pepper Festival—Thursday, September 27 (setup); Friday, September 28 (setup); Saturday, September 29 (festival date)
Ghouls & Gourds—Thursday, October 25 (setup); Friday, October 26 (setup); Saturday, October 27 (festival date)
- Perform tasks involving set-up and de-installation of festival.
- Decorate and organize performance, vendor and workshop areas.
- Work outside in all types of weather, lifting & carrying various items.
- Inform and interface with visitors/members of the public.
- Prepare various items (decorations, signage, workshop elements) for the events.
- Assist vendors, workshop leaders and performers as needed.
- In some cases, supervise specific projects.
- Perform other related duties or special projects as directed.
- Experience with festivals, theatrical or live music productions, catering or other relatable work is preferred
- Ability to remain calm and friendly under pressure throughout long, high-intensity events and prep days
- Detail-oriented with the capacity to multitask
- Ability to work outside in all types of weather and remain standing for extended periods of time.
- Strong interpersonal skills and self-motivation
- Ability to work independently & as part of a team in a fast-paced and crowded environment.
- Ability to lift 30 lbs.
- Managerial/supervisory/leadership experience is a plus
How to Apply:
Email your résumé and cover letter to [email protected]. Make sure the position title is clearly stated in your cover letter as well as in the email’s subject line. No telephone calls for position inquiries, please.
Brooklyn Botanic Garden is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.