|This cake is sweet and delicious, with hidden veggies inside. |
9 ounces beets (about 3 beets, cooked)
4 ounces 60% chocolate
1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter
½ cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
¼ cup cocoa powder
¾ cup all-purpose flour or garbanzo bean flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
- Peel beets. Cut them into quarters (or smaller, depending on the size of your beets) and set in a pot of water to boil. Boil until easily pierced by a fork, approximately 30 minutes. Drain and let cool. (Save the bright pink juice and use for dying materials or painting on watercolor paper!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9-by-13-inch baking pan (or line with parchment paper and spray with baking spray). Melt chocolate, butter, and sugar together in a saucepan set over medium-low heat. Whisk until smooth and completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Once the beets have cooled, place them in blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- Mix beets, eggs, vanilla, and cocoa powder into melted mixture until well combined. In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the large bowl and stir until all the flour is incorporated.
- Pour into prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool before cutting, and sprinkle with powdered sugar.