Children’s Garden Classes
Cultivate a love of nature and a connection to plants in your kids by signing up for a Children's Garden class at Brooklyn Botanic Garden. Children aged 2 to 13 can plant their own crops and flowers and harvest them under the guidance of garden instructors.
Spring/summer 2023 class information will be posted in January 2023. Please check back then.
Select from the programs linked below to see class descriptions, section schedules, and fees. Be sure to note age requirements and other qualifications.
Registrations are processed on a first-come, first-served basis in the order that payment is received; note that Children's Garden classes fill quickly.
A limited number of need-based scholarships are available for Children’s Garden participants, distributed on a first-come, first-served basis. To request an application, please contact Registration at 718-623-7220 or [email protected].
Participation Requirements, Trees and Saplings:
- One hour and 1.5-hour programs are offered. We recommend the 1.5-hour class for 3-year-olds or returning families.
- The class is for one adult-child pair only; no siblings or additional adults please.
- Children should wear clothing that can get dirty and closed-toe shoes (no sandals).
Participation Requirements, Seeds and City Farmers:
- Please make sure you check age/grade ranges. Participation is contingent upon registering for the appropriate section by grade.
- Children must be entering pre-K (or 4 years old) to participate in the fall 2022 Seeds program.
- City Farmers participants should register for the grade they will be entering for the fall 2022 school year.
- Only one adult should approach the gate for drop-off and pickup.
- Participants enrolled in fall classes that begin before 10 a.m. must use the 455 Flatbush Avenue entrance for drop-off. This gate opens 15 minutes prior to your program’s start time.
- Participants must show their class confirmation e-mail to a staff member at the admission’s desk to enter the Garden.
- All lunches and snacks will be eaten picnic-style outdoors.
Covid-19 Safety Protocols:
- Please note that at this time, we are not requiring vaccination for participants. As COVID safety protocols evolve, requirements for future programming may be adapted. Any changes and updated policies will be communicated closer to the start of your program.
- All fall activities are facilitated outdoors unless during severe weather, class may be moved to indoor spaces.
- Masks are optional while outdoors in the Children’s Garden, but participants and staff are required to wear masks while inside the Children’s Garden House, where the restrooms are located. Parents, please be sure to send a mask with your child.
- Sanitizing and hand-washing stations are placed throughout the garden.
- If your child is showing signs of illness, they should not attend the program.
- All staff members and teen apprentices are vaccinated and have been trained in COVID-19 safety procedures.
- Programs take place rain or shine! If the weather is severe, we will notify you 24 hours in advance of your program.
- Student cancellation at least 10 business days before a course begins will receive a refund, less a $25 administrative fee.
Trees & Saplings
For 2- and 3-year-olds with a caregiver
Learn about the wonders of gardening with your two- or three-year-old during this active hands-on program. Our youngest gardeners work with their adult partner to tend to their garden plots, sing songs, taste new foods, and create nature crafts.
Consistent attendance of one adult per child is required. Fee includes one adult and one child. No infants or older siblings, please.
We recommend the 90-minute class sections (E/F) for 3-year-olds.Sign Up For Trees & Saplings
For 4, 5, and 6-year-olds
Seeds work together in small groups to care for their garden plots and participate in cooking, exploring the wonderful outdoors, crafting, and other fun activities. This is a drop-off program.
For students in (or entering) grades 1–8
City Farmers dig gardening! Students develop basic horticulture skills to bring garden plots to life with fresh, seasonal vegetables and enjoy crafting, cooking, nature exploration, and other hands-on activities. This is a drop-off program.