Children’s Garden Classes
Cultivate a love of nature and a connection to plants in your kids by signing up for a Children's Garden class at Brooklyn Botanic Garden. Children aged 2 to 13 can plant their own crops and flowers and harvest them under the guidance of garden instructors.
Select from the sections linked below to see class descriptions and fees. Be sure to note age requirements and other qualifications.
Registrations are processed on a first-come, first-served basis in the order that payment is received; note that Children's Garden classes fill quickly.
A limited number of need-based scholarships are available for Children’s Garden participants, distributed on a first-come, first-served basis. To request an application, please contact Registration at 718-623-7220 or [email protected].
Basic Program Guidelines:
- All activities are facilitated entirely outdoors.
- All participants and staff must wear face coverings for the duration of the program, except for eating and drinking breaks (as COVID-19 protocols are changing, we will provide updates before the start of the program).
- Sanitizing and hand-washing stations are placed throughout the garden.
- If your child is showing signs of illness, they should not attend the program.
- Only one adult should approach the group for drop-off and pick-up.
- Children will bring snacks from home; no food sharing please.
- Participants will use alcohol-based hand sanitizer before and after snacks.
- All staff members have been trained in COVID-19 safety procedures.
Weather Cancellation Policy: Programs take place rain or shine! If the weather is severe, we will notify you 24 hours in advance of your program.
Trees & Saplings
For 2- and 3-year-olds with a caregiver
Learn about the wonders of gardening with your two- or three-year-old during this active hands-on program. Our youngest gardeners work with their adult partner to tend to their garden plots, sing songs, taste new foods, and create nature crafts.
Consistent attendance of one adult per child is required. Fee includes one adult and one child. No infants or older siblings, please.
We recommend that first-time gardeners and early twos choose the 9 a.m. one-hour class section.
For 4, 5, and 6-year-olds
Seeds work together in small groups to care for their garden plots and participate in cooking, exploring the wonderful outdoors, crafting, and other fun activities. This is a drop-off program.
For students in (or entering) grades 1–8
City Farmers dig gardening! Students develop basic horticulture skills to bring garden plots to life with fresh, seasonal vegetables and enjoy crafting, cooking, nature exploration, and other hands-on activities.