Drop Off Your Food Scraps on the Way to the Subway
The NYC Compost Project hosted by Brooklyn Botanic Garden has launched a new food scrap drop-off program. You can now drop off your scraps every Wednesday morning from 8 to 10 a.m. at these commuter composting stations:
Franklin Avenue and Eastern Parkway, north corner, near the entrance of the 2, 3, 4, 5 subway station
Park Place and Carlton Avenue, near the entrance of the B, Q subway station
All of the organic material accepted at these sites will be composted at Red Hook Community Farm. The finished compost will be used to rebuild the city’s soil by neighborhood greening groups, including urban farms, community gardens, and street tree stewardship efforts.
This drop-off program complements the work of DSNY’s NYC Organics Collection Program by offering additional opportunities for New Yorkers to decrease the amount of food waste going to landfills and helps create a greener and healthier New York City. Composting offers multiple environmental benefits—it reduces the carbon emissions from garbage transport and the methane emissions from decaying food. It also cuts down on the amount of dissolved nutrients that may overload groundwater and streams surrounding a garbage dump.
Interested in dropping off your scraps with us (or at any of the other 62 drop-off locations across the city)? Here are some tips:
- Do bring fruit and vegetables scraps, coffee grounds/filters and tea bags, disease and infestation-free plant waste, and unprocessed grains.
- Don't bring meat, bones, greasy foods, or dairy.
- Drop off frequently to prevent food scrap storage from becoming an issue in your home.
- Store food waste in a reusable container. (There will be a separate trash container for any plastic bags but keep in mind that paper bags and reusable containers are much friendlier to the environment!)
- Keep your container of food waste in the fridge or freezer to help reduce odors.
If you have questions about the food scrap drop-off program or anything compost related, please email [email protected]