Seasonal GreenBridge Outreach Assistant/Instructor
Reports to: GreenBridge Community Field Manager and Program Manager
Term: mid-January through mid-August 2014
3 days per week except two 5-day weeks in June
GreenBridge, the community environmental horticulture program of Brooklyn Botanic Garden, promotes the greening of the urban environment through education, conservation, and creative partnerships. The program, a part of the Horticulture Department at BBG, is building a vibrant network of people, places, and projects dedicated to making Brooklyn a greener, healthier place and works in partnership with block associations, community gardens, social service agencies, and other groups. The GreenBridge outreach assistant works directly with the GreenBridge program manager and community field manager to provide technical assistance and horticultural education to relevant groups throughout Brooklyn.
Maintain and update departmental database and other administrative duties:
- Regularly update contact information for GreenBridge constituents
- Assist program manager with seasonal data projects, including contest entries for Greenest Block in Brooklyn contest
- Assist community field manager with seasonal data projects, including data entry for GreenBridge Community Garden Alliance and Street Tree Stewardsjo[
- Answer general inquiries to GreenBridge phone hotline and email address
- Assist with general office management tasks, including supply orders, mailings, publication distribution, archiving, etc.
- Maintain and update departmental files on local greening groups and urban horticulture
Assist program manager and/or community field manager with planning, execution, and ongoing development of GreenBridge programming:
- Organize speakers, workshops, and exhibitors
- Manage lead-up and day-of operations
- Teach community “street clinics” throughout the spring
- Do data entry
- Drive and support judging throughout the summer
- Assist with seasonal networking event for Greenest Block entrants
- Track BUG volunteer hours and projects in the field
- Help to prepare materials for fall 2014 BUG course
- Maintain GreenBridge nursery
- Distribute plants to community gardens and organizations
- Teach workshops on tree care and sustainable horticulture in the field
- Assist with seasonal networking events at BBG for Alliance members
Attend regularly scheduled meetings of partnering organizations and report back to GreenBridge team.
Assist in writing tip sheets for GreenBridge classes and events.
Perform any other related duties or special projects as directed by supervisor.
- BA or BS degree in education, horticulture, environmental science or related field preferred.
- One to two years’ experience in urban horticulture preferred.
- Event and/or conference planning experience preferred.
- Excellent writing and teaching skills. Teaching experience with adult learners strongly preferred.
- Valid NYS driver’s license (driving is required).
- Strong interpersonal skills and keen interest and ease in working with the public.
- Ability to work alone (self-starter) and as part of a team.
- Ability to handle basic office organization, including file management, word processing, and database upkeep. Knowledge of Excel required and Access preferred.
- Ability to address the unique challenges of urban gardening.
- Fluency in English and Spanish preferred.
- Available to work evenings and weekends to teach classes and support GreenBridge/BBG events.