Temporary Part-Time GreenBridge Outreach Assistant/Instructor
Reports to: GreenBridge Program Manager and Community Field Manager
Term: 3 days per week, except two 5-day weeks in June
GreenBridge, the community environmental horticulture program of Brooklyn Botanic Garden (BBG), promotes the greening of the urban environment through education, conservation, and creative partnerships. GreenBridge is building a vibrant network of people, places, and projects dedicated to making Brooklyn a greener, healthier place. As part of the Horticulture division at BBG, GreenBridge works in partnership with block associations, community gardens, social service agencies, and other groups. The GreenBridge outreach assistant works directly with the GreenBridge program manager and community field manager to provide technical assistance and horticultural education to relevant groups throughout Brooklyn.
- Maintain and update departmental database, including:
- Regularly updating contact information for GreenBridge constituents
- Assisting program manager with seasonal data projects, including contest entries for Greenest Block in Brooklyn contest
- Assisting community field manager with seasonal initiatives, including data entry for GreenBridge Community Garden Alliance and Street Tree Stewardship
- Answer general phone and email inquiries to GreenBridge hotline and email address.
- Assist with general office management tasks, including supply orders, mailings, publication distribution, archiving, etc.
- Assist program manager with planning and executing annual Making Brooklyn Bloom symposium, including:
- Organizing speakers, workshops, and exhibitors
- Managing lead-up and day-of operations
- Coordinating volunteers
- Assist program manager with planning and execution of annual Greenest Block in Brooklyn competition, including:
- Teaching community “street clinics” throughout the spring
- Data entry
- Driving and supporting judging throughout the summer
- Assisting with seasonal networking event for Greenest Block entrants
- Participate in the ongoing development and implementation of the Brooklyn Urban Gardener program, including:
- Tracking BUG volunteer hours and projects in the field
- Creating and sending BUG Volunteer News enewsletter
- Helping to prepare materials for fall 2015 BUG course
- Assist community field manager with GreenBridge Community Garden Alliance and Street Tree Stewardship initiative, including:
- Maintaining GreenBridge nursery
- Distributing plants to community gardens and organizations
- Assisting with site visits
- Helping to acquire and manage in-kind donations
- Teaching workshops on tree care and sustainable horticulture in the field
- Assisting with seasonal networking events at BBG for Alliance members
- Attend regularly scheduled meetings of partnering organizations and report back to GreenBridge team.
- Assist in writing GreenBridge tip sheets.
- Assist in writing articles for GreenBridge Gardener newsletter.
- Conduct outreach and tabling at public events.
- Perform any other related duties or special projects as directed by supervisors.
- BA or BS degree in education, horticulture, environmental science or related field or equivalent
- At least one year of experience in urban horticulture
- Event and/or conference planning experience
- Teaching experience with adult learners
- Keen interest and ease in working with the public
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent writing and teaching skills
- Ability to work alone and as part of a team
- Ability to handle basic office organization, including file management, word processing, and database management
- Knowledge of Excel (required) and Access (preferred)
- Ability to address the unique challenges of urban gardening
- Bilingual (English and Spanish preferred)
- Ability to obtain and maintain valid NYS driver’s license (required)
Work Environment Issues (Special Circumstances, Travel, Physical Demands):
- Ability to work evenings and weekends to teach classes and support GreenBridge/BBG events
- Ability to drive (required)
- Ability to stand for long periods
- Ability to lift and carry supplies and materials