Seasonal BASE Field Studies Instructor
Reports to: BASE Field Studies Coordinator
Duration: September–December 2014
Brooklyn Botanic Garden (BBG) seeks a seasonal instructor for the BASE Field Studies program. This outdoor class series was developed exclusively for ninth-grade students at Brooklyn Academy of Science and the Environment (BASE), a small public high school supported by a partnership with the Garden. Field Studies supplements the Living Environment curriculum by making use of the environmental and scientific resources of the garden and nearby Prospect Park.
- Assist the BASE Field Studies coordinator with preparation and teaching of the Field Studies classes, four afternoons each week at BBG and at Prospect Park.
- Teach students using the Field Studies curriculum and assist when another educator is leading an activity.
- Help prepare lesson materials and assist with cleanup after each lesson.
Five hours per day, four days per week for ten weeks, September–December. Some planning days may be scheduled in September before the start of the Field Studies series.
- College-level studies in natural science, environmental studies, education, or a related field
- Experience teaching adolescents
- Experience teaching in an outdoor setting
- Ability to obtain security clearance by the NYC DOE for working with children
How to Apply:
Please send a résumé and cover letter indicating the title of the position desired and days of availability, along with the names of two references with contact information, to:
Brooklyn Botanic Garden
1000 Washington Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11225