Art in the Garden: Performing Artist in Residence
Brooklyn Botanic Garden’s Performing Artist in Residence program allows artists and visitors to experience the Garden through a different lens.
The theme for the 2023 residency is Power of Trees, drawing inspiration from trees in our collections, tree care and caretakers, and the symbolism of trees as a place of gathering, shelter, and culture.
One artist will be selected for a residency in 2023. During the residency, the artist will spend time creating work in and inspired by the Garden. They will host one or two public classes, seminars, or activities, then showcase their final work in September 2023.
- Access to the Brooklyn Botanic Garden library and archives and a curated package of research material on the Power of Trees theme
- Research meetings with gardeners and staff
- Access to the Garden, including outside of public hours by arrangement
- Access to BBG’s events and programs
- A shared desk area and wifi
- Artist stipend ($7,000) plus opportunity to request production and additional performer support
- Application Deadline: April 15
- Selection: May 1
- Residency: June to September
- Final Presentation: September 23 & 24
2022 Artist in Residence: Jean-René Delsoin
During his summer 2022 residency, Delsoin’s study of BBG’s gardens, plants, trees, and wildlife along with Haitian culture, traditions, and heritage informed a work created and presented in collaboration with NYC-based dance and drum practitioners.
- Discipline: Artists interested in the live performance world including (but not limited to) choreographers, dancers, musicians, playwrights, and theater makers.
- Artist must be a resident of New York City. This residency does not provide housing or transportation.
- Artist must respect the plant life and abide by Garden rules. A residency contract will be executed.
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden is an equal opportunity organization and encourages all eligible applicants to apply.
- Portfolio of 3–5 pieces of work
- Written proposal including:
- Performance ideas integrating the 2023 theme
- Public engagement ideas
- Artist’s relation to or interest in botanic subject matter
- Anticipated needs for residency supplies, equipment, and space
- Applications will be reviewed by a committee composed of Brooklyn Botanic Garden staff, previous artists in residence, and Brooklyn Committee.
- Selection is based on the applicant’s proposal of performance relating to the Power of Trees theme and relation to or interest in botanic subject matter.
Applications are due by April 15, 2023. Resident will be announced May 1, 2023.Apply
Art in the Garden is made possible by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of the Office of the Governor and the New York State Legislature.