Brooklyn Botanic Garden has been used as location for numerous film, television, and print projects, both large and small. The Garden includes nearly 30 subgardens, including expansive lawns and formal flower gardens, woodlands and naturalistic settings, indoor conservatories, and traditional and modern architecture. Learn About Garden Locations ›
Personal, portrait, wedding, and small student projects have different requirements. Learn More ›
Commercial photography at BBG is defined as images created in or of the Garden that any photographer, filmmaker, or artist intends to use for commercial, professional, advertising, or promotional purposes, including but not limited to film or television, advertising, retail merchandising, marketing, portfolio, educational, or published material, or any purpose for which the photographer is paid for the use of the image.
Editorial photography at BBG is defined as images created in or of the Garden that any photographer, videographer, producer, or editor intends to use for editorial coverage explicitly and primarily about Brooklyn Botanic Garden.
Rules & Fees
- All commercial and editorial photography and filming must receive written preapproval from BBG’s Communications Office.
- Application must be received at least five business days in advance of the shoot.
- Fees for commercial or editorial photography and filming are determined on an individual basis.
- On-site scouting is required prior to finalizing photo shoot arrangements and fees.
- Commercial and editorial photography and filming can be conducted Tuesday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. Dates and times are negotiable based on the scale of your project. Shoots outside of standard hours may incur overtime charges.
- Facilities for holding/hair and makeup may be available; private restrooms are not available.
- Catering is available through Patina Events at BBG.
- Attended parking is available for a fee; see Directions & Parking. Street parking permits must be obtained through the City of New York. Parking on Garden grounds is permitted on a case-by-case basis with additional charges.
- Groups must follow all guidelines and restrictions for commercial photography and film projects.
To request a commercial or editorial photography session permit, please submit this brief form.