- All commercial and editorial photography and filming must receive written preapproval from BBG’s Communications Office.
- Application must be received at least five business days in advance of the shoot.
- Fees for commercial or editorial photography and filming are determined on an individual basis.
- On-site scouting is required prior to finalizing photo shoot arrangements and fees.
- Commercial and editorial photography and filming can be conducted Tuesday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. Dates and times are negotiable based on the scale of your project. Shoots outside of standard hours may incur overtime charges.
- Facilities for holding/hair and makeup may be available; private restrooms are not available.
- Catering is available through Patina Events at BBG.
- Attended parking is available for a fee; see Directions & Parking. Street parking permits must be obtained through the City of New York. Parking on Garden grounds is permitted on a case-by-case basis with additional charges.
- Groups must follow all guidelines and restrictions for commercial photography and film projects.
Brooklyn Botanic Garden’s 52 acres of world-class indoor and outdoor gardens and iconic architecture, conveniently sited in the heart of Brooklyn, make it a desirable location for photography and film projects.
General Visitor Photography
Visitors may take personal, nonprofessional photographs in all public areas of the Garden, provided they follow BBG’s photography policy. Tag #brooklynbotanic when you share!
A permit is required for all visitors wishing to take professional portrait photographs for noncommercial use (e.g., head shots, wedding or engagement photos, and family portraits); allow at least five business days in advance of the shoot.
Commercial or Editorial Photography and Filming
Brooklyn Botanic Garden has been used as location for numerous film, television, and print projects, both large and small. The Garden includes nearly 30 subgardens, including expansive lawns and formal flower gardens, woodlands and naturalistic settings, indoor conservatories, and traditional and modern architecture.
Commercial photography at BBG is defined as images created in or of the Garden that any photographer, filmmaker, or artist intends to use for commercial, professional, advertising, or promotional purposes, including but not limited to film or television, advertising, retail merchandising, marketing, portfolio, educational, or published material, or any purpose for which the photographer is paid for the use of the image.
Editorial photography at BBG is defined as images created in or of the Garden that any photographer, videographer, producer, or editor intends to use for editorial coverage explicitly and primarily about Brooklyn Botanic Garden.
View Commercial or Editorial Photography Details
Student Photography and Filming
In general, individual students may register to take photographs in all public areas of the Garden, provided they follow BBG's guidelines. Larger student projects, including all student film projects, those with groups of five or more, those using more than one camera, or those using any lighting, reflectors, props, or other equipment should apply as a commercial/editorial project.
View Student Project Details
- Students must register and receive written approval at least five business days in advance of the shoot.
- Fees commensurate with the demands placed on the Garden by the shoot will incur.
- Models must arrive camera ready, as there are no dressing room facilities. Changing and hair and makeup application is not permitted in BBG restrooms or public spaces.
- Groups must follow all guidelines and restrictions for photography and film projects.