Are you a nature lover who enjoys engaging with children?
Would you like to share your curiosity about plants and nature with your community in a beautiful outdoor setting?
Become a Discovery Docent at Brooklyn Botanic Garden!
We are looking for volunteers to join our Fall 2019 Discovery Docent Program. Docents engage with visitors of all ages in the Discovery Garden, a one-acre hands-on children’s garden at BBG. Docents lead different activity stations around the garden, interacting with visiting families and school and camp groups.
Our Discovery Docents facilitate hands-on science activities throughout the Discovery Garden. No prior knowledge is necessary—all that’s needed is an interest in nature, a willingness to grow and learn, and a friendly team attitude. BBG conducts a brief interview with all applicants to ensure they are a good fit.
Join an enthusiastic group of young adults, seniors, career changers, and students who are passionate about sharing their enthusiasm for nature with the community.
Docents are asked to commit to one three-hour shift at the same time each week for the season. (We are happy to work around conflicts that come up for one or two sessions.) Each shift includes helping with setup and cleanup, learning about the activities, and doing a team wrap-up. Docents must be comfortable working outdoors in various kinds of weather. Weekend and First Discovery programs begin in September. Weekday programs begin in October.
Docents choose one shift:
Programs beginning September 13:
- Friday First Discoveries (toddler program): 9 a.m.–12 p.m.
- Saturday Gardening Program: 10 a.m.–1 p.m.
- Sunday: 12:30–3:30 p.m.
Programs beginning October 8:
- Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday: 9:45 a.m.–2:45 p.m.
Docent Training Dates:
- Weekend & First Discoveries Docents: Saturday, September 7
- Weekday Docents: October 1, 2, 3, and 4. Please attend date that falls on the weekday that you volunteer (i.e., Tuesday Docents attend Tuesday, October 1 training).
- New Docents training: 9:30 a.m.–1 p.m.
- Returning Docents training: 11:30 a.m.–1 p.m.
For more information contact Meera Jagroop, manager of the Discovery Garden and Family Programs, at [email protected] or 718-623-7224.