Abies fraseri is native to the mountains of the eastern United States and can be found growing in southwestern Virginia, western North Carolina, and eastern Tennessee. This small evergreen grows 30 to 50 feet tall and is the tree of choice for the President's Blue Room Christmas tree in the White House.
- Leaves are needlelike, at least four times longer than wide.
- Needles occur singly, not in clusters.
- Buds are round or egg-shaped and have blunt tips.
- Needles are attached directly to the stem.
- Mature needles are ½ to 1 inch long.
- Twigs have red hairs.