Photo Session Permit
In general, visitors may take personal, nonprofessional photographs in all public areas of the Garden, provided they follow BBG's guidelines (PDF). Tag #brooklynbotanic when you share!
A permit is required for all visitors wishing to take professional photographs for personal use (e.g., head shots, wedding or engagement photos, and family portraits) as well as for student projects. Sessions may be scheduled during business hours, with the last session offered at 4:30 p.m. Please submit the inquiry form below at least five business days before you need the permit.
Commercial or editorial photography and film projects require a location permit, which is handled differently.
Learn More about Commercial and Editorial Photography
Photographers must follow all general policies of BBG, including but not limited to the following: Participants and equipment must remain on the paths or lawns; outside food and beverages are not permitted; no picking flowers or otherwise harming the plant collections.
View BBG's Photography Policy (PDF)
Additional Rules and Fees
Portrait, Wedding & Group Photography
- Permit fee: $350 for a 60-minute session for up to 15 participants
- No more than 15 participants, including subjects and crew
- Equipment is limited to 1 camera/tripod and reflective or flash lighting.
Due to the Garden's mask requirement and social distancing requirements, student projects are not allowed at this time.
- Permit fee: $300 for a 120-minute session, Tuesday through Friday only
- All film/video requests must apply as a commercial or editorial project.
- No more than 5 participants, including subjects and crew. To inquire about larger projects, contact [email protected].
- Equipment is limited to 1 camera/tripod and reflective or flash lighting; no large props.
- BBG staff may request a script or description of project before granting approval.
To request a photo session permit, please submit this brief form; BBG's Registration office will contact you when it is received.
Please note: A permit application does not guarantee a permit. Your application is subject to approval by Registration, contingent on availability. Bookings are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. Your date will be held when contracted and paid in full.